Vertigo is a feeling of dizziness. It feels as though you, or the world around you is spinning, without any movement happening. One of its main causes is an imbalance of the inner ear. This is also known as Meniere’s Disease. Around 1 in every 1,000 people suffers from this ailment. As well as dizziness, Meniere’s disease may also cause a feeling of pressure in the inner ears. Other symptoms include, ringing in the ears (tinnitus) and fluctuating hearing loss. It may lead to permanent hearing loss. Symptoms can occur suddenly. They may sometime last longer than others. Finding a natural remedy for vertigo may be easier than you think.
The Three Stages of Meniere’s Disease
Although this disorder can begin at any age, it usually starts between the ages of 20 and 30. Meniere’s disease is a condition that worsens over time.
- Initial stage: In the early stages, you’ll experience sudden and unexpected bouts of vertigo. You may also experience nausea, dizziness and vomiting at the same time. An episode may last anywhere between 20 minutes up to 24 hours. Your ear or ears may feel blocked and may be ringing.
- Middle stage: As the disease progresses, you will continue to have vertigo. The episodes will be less severe. Your hearing loss and tinnitus will worsen. During the middle stage, you may experience stretches of remission lasting several months.
- Final stage: In the later stage, vertigo becomes even more infrequent. It may never come back. You will continue to experience balance problems. You will feel particularly unsteady during dim light or darkness. Your hearing loss and tinnitus will worsen.
Chinese Herbal Medicine and Vertigo
Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) has treatments for vertigo dating back thousands of years. These days, if you are looking for a natural remedy for vertigo there are many options. Often a combination of these is extra beneficial.
- Astragalus Root: Astragalus root plays an important role in TCM. As well as strengthening the immune system, this plant also relieves stress. It protects against illness and can improve sleep. In TCM, astragalus is used to ease tinnitus.
- Common Peony Root: The root of the white peony is useful for treating of dizziness. It may be beneficial in calming some of the symptoms of Meniere’s disease.
- Ginseng: Stress can trigger symptoms of Meniere’s disease. For this reason it’s important to keep your stress level to a minimum. Ginseng can help with this by preventing negative physical and emotional responses to stress. It also up the body’s natural resilience to stress.
- Pueraria Root: Also known as kudzu, the root of this fast-growing vine is used in TCM. Extracts from the root are beneficial for dizziness, temporary hearing loss and headaches.
- Phellodendron: This is one of the 50 most important herbs in TCM. The root of this plant is rich in antioxidants. It boosts the immune system and helps aid restful sleep. Both of these are important for people suffering from Meniere’s disease.
Making certain dietary changes can help limit fluid retention and reduce stress. This can help reduce the symptoms of Meniere’s disease.
- Eat four to six small meals throughout the day. This is better than eating two or three larger ones. It helps to balance your body fluids.
- Reduce your salt intake. If you eat less salt, If you eat less salt, your body will retain less fluid. Don’t add salt to your meals.
- Avoid junk food. It is high in saturated fat, salt and preservatives.
- Avoid MSG (monosodium glutamate). This can also cause increased fluid retention.
- Cut down on caffeine. It can make tinnitus louder.
- Stop smoking. Smoking can worsen many of the symptoms of Meniere’s disease.
- Limit your alcohol consumption. You should not drink more than one beer or one glass of wine each day.
Vertigo may be a lifelong condition. It’s important to remember that the loss of balance it causes puts you at an increased risk of falling. It can also negatively affect your quality of life as this may lead you to live a less active lifestyle. Stay active and reduce your risk of injury: take precautions and make your home safe.